Taste of Judaism: Everything you wanted to know about Judaism but were afraid to ask, Sunday afternoons, 1-3 pm at the Jewish Community Centre, December 1st, 8th and 15th: $50. Please contact Rabbi Lynn through Kolot Mayim to register.
Introduction to Judaism classes, Sunday afternoons, 1-3 pm at the Jewish Community Centre, 3636 Shelbourne Avenue: $200. Please contact Rabbi Lynn through Kolot Mayim to register.
1. January 5th: Jewish History: Introductions, Overview of why, what to read. Biblical to CE; Canon, Temple, Egyptians/Assyrians/Greeks/Romans: Mishnah/Talmudic period, development of Rabbinic Judaism and Christianity, early medieval period
2. January 12th Medieval –Emancipation and Enlightenment Movements to Modern era: Language of exile: blood libel, pogrom, shtetl, Pale of Settlement, exile and a language of survival. Lachrymose vs Positive Historical viewpoints.
3. January 19th Shoah and State of Israel: 20th century Judaism.
4. January 26th 11 am: Jewish Emancipation (Haskalah) and the emerging Reform Movement
5. February 2nd, Rabbinic Judaism: What we do, when? Learning Torah: Halachah, Mitzvot, Pirke Avot
6. February 9th, Purim, Hannukah, Tu B’shevat, Tisha B’Av: basic history, premises, food, celebrations
7. February 16th, Shalosh Regalim: Sukkot, Pesach, Shavuot, how, when, where, what
8. February 23rd, Jewish Calendar: Holidays and Festivals: Yamim Noraim, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur – teshuvah, food and fasting, Shofar, atonement, observance
9. March 1st, (In front room – Sharon Kobrinsky using deli) Making a Jewish Home: Making a home Jewish: emphasis of family, education, ethical life, tzedakah, mezuzah, Kashrut, dignity
10. March 8th, Passover Seder
11. March 15th Marriage, Jewish home: mezuzah, candles, the stuff, Children, Mikvah, Conversion
12. March 22nd No class.
13. March 29th Children: Bris, Baby naming, Hebrew school/education, B’nei Mitzvah
14. April 5th End of life: Illness, death, Chevra Kadisha, Levayah, shiva, sheloshim, yartzeit
15. April 12th Jewish values and ethics: Hachnasat orchim; Bal tashit; Shalom Bayit, Lashon ha-rah, chesed, gemilut Hasidim, Mussar movement
16. April 19th, Shabbat at home: Making Shabbat, shamor v’zachor, Tefillah, candles, table, zemirot
17. April 26th Synagogue and Prayer: Keva and kavanna, Hebrew, tallis/tefillin, learning Hebrew
18. May 3rd, Reform Judaism: Basic precepts, non-Halachic, brief comparison to Halachic Judaism, continuity of changing views and practices, patrilineal descent
Introduction to Judaism classes, Sunday afternoons, 1-3 pm at the Jewish Community Centre, 3636 Shelbourne Avenue
Cost:$180 for Kolot Mayim members $10 a session including a complimentary entry to the KM community Seder. ($35 value) $275 for non-members ($15 per session and complimentary entry to the KM community Seder)($50 value)
Interfaith couples (couples in a committed relationship and living together) are 2 for the price of 1.